Polish gov't advises restraint in US-Iran conflict

2020-01-08 11:17 update: 2020-01-13, 21:28
Piotr Muller Photo PAP/Paweł Supernak
Piotr Muller Photo PAP/Paweł Supernak
The Polish government believes that the US-Iran confrontation should not be escalated, government spokesperson Piotr Muller said on Wednesday, commenting on Iran's missile attack against two US bases in Iraq.

Iran has carried out ballistic missile attacks on air bases housing US forces in Iraq, launching over a dozen missiles, Arabic al-Mayadeen television said on Wednesday.

"Our approach to it is balanced but we also know perfectly well that the situation can radically change and we will respond to it dynamically," Muller said.

Muller reiterated there had been no Polish casualties in Iran's attack against the Al Asad and Irbil bases and said there was no indication of any related terrorist threat in Poland.

Operational commander of the Polish armed forces, Major General Tomasz Piotrowski, said Poland was not considering an evacuation of Polish troops stationed in Iraq. The Polish military contingent, which is part of an international coalition fighting the Islamic State as well as providing training, comprises 268 soldiers and employees, he added. (PAP)

jd/mf/